[IP] High incidents of DM?

I live near several Amish communities with fabulous restaurants - all
high-carb meals. Many ladies are large and can slice a loaf of (homemade)
bread by holding it across their stomachs. In fact, my maternal grandfather
was Amish as well as his 12 siblings. He was, however, raised by a non-Amish
family from the age of 7 (mom died when he was 4) but kept in contact w/his
family. He was born in 1889.

I'm curious, however, since we know there is a high incidence of DM in
certain American-Indian tribes, how about the Amish community? Does anyone

A typical *thresher's dinner* consists of: fried chicken, roast beef, mashed
potatoes, gravy, homemade noodles, stuffing, corn, homemade bread/rolls, and

(I sent this after EST lunchtime - go eat if you missed your meal - you're
probably hungry now.) (~_^)