[IP] DM testing in Florida

>From AP: (copied from the LA Times web page (http://www.latimes.com).
By Associated Press
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Florida will become the first state to offer every newborn
a chance to be screened for signs of Type 1 diabetes, health officials said

Babies identified as high risk will be given the chance to be monitored for
life for symptoms of the disease. The program is intended to contribute to
diabetes research.

The voluntary program is being funded by a $10 million endowment the
American Diabetes Association plans to create over the next five years. It
will be based at the University of Florida College of Medicine.

The program should be available to the 200,000 babies born in Florida each
year within 11/2 years, said Desmond Schatz, medical director of the
Diabetes Center at the University of Florida.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR