I have raised money for both organizations ... I have walked many miles in
support of JDF each fall at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo ... I chose the ADA
this time as I am tired of participating in JDF events where I am surrounded
by kids.  It's nice to do something with adults for a change.  Aren't they
both working for the same goal?  Yes, they are.  The roads may be different,
but the destination is the same.

Just as we do not rip apart each others choices for the pumps we choose to
wear, do not criticize me for my choice of which organization to support.  I
sent the information, that is all and do not deserve to be 'attacked' for my

Not all organizations are specifically geared towards a cure ... some for a
cure, some for providing information (no ... I do not know which ADA is
geared towards so don't attack me for this statement either,) some for
providing funds for medications, etc.  Everyone had goals.

As for me ... there will be no cure.  Too many people are making WAY too much
money off of us and the insurance companies.  HIV/AIDS are diseases of
poverty ... so there is no profit in it ... there will be a cure for
HIV/AIDS.  (I used to work with this population in my dietetics career ... so
I have seen the poverty.)  HIV/AIDS cost way too much money for the
government and therefore there will be a cure.  Diabetes is a disease that is
not terribly expensive to maintain ... don't e-mail me about insurance, etc.,
... if you can't afford the pumps like most of use have or insurance doesn't
cover it, there is still MDI.  Diabetes is not necessarily a disease of
poverty.  As far as the transplanted islet cells go ... I would be happy to
take the modern immune suppressing drugs in exchange for not having to deal
with this darn disease anymore.  The old immune suppressing drugs can indeed
kill you when taken long term, but the new one are far less toxic.

Sorry for the rant.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.

PS ... Michael ... please e-mail the address for making donation to IP ... I
deleted the email by mistake and I would like to email it to a few of my
friends that may be able to help, too.  Thanks!  Rox