RE: [IP] girl with Celiacs denied Communion

> http://www.townonline.com/metrowest/04309828.htm

Not to defend or support the Roman Catholic Church, but the article does
make it clear that the Church *did* try to meet the child's needs.  To
understand this fully, I'll point out that Roman Catholic theology requires
that the bread of Communion contain wheat, and that without wheat, it is not
the Body of Christ, no matter how much we would like it to be otherwise.
Also, in Roman Catholic theology, the Body of Christ is fully present in
*BOTH* the Bread and the Wine, so that by receiving *EITHER* the Bread or
the Wine, one receives full Communion in the Mass.  From a theological
position, the Roman Catholic Church was not denying Communion to this child
because they were willing to provide consecrated Wine that had no gluten in
it.  Now, from a pastoral position, it may be another story altogether.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted