[IP] carb counting vs exchanges

> I was very suprised of the general lack of knowledge of a teaching hospital
> regarding a pump. Many nurses were surprised when I was changing my site and
> also was surprise that I decided what my dose was for meals etc. Many of the
> med. students and residents I saw had an interest in learning about it, but
> again just general misconceptions on how it works.
> Linda W

> I was diagnosed in 86 and was taught exchanges. kelly>

This is the thing, even though the ADA changed the meal plan to carb counting
in 1980(?) - it's slow going getting the change to come about. And pumps have
been around since '79. Look how far behind a teaching hospital is in the 21st
http://maxpages.com/bludasue AND http://www.picturetrail.com/dmbashpics (where
my checkbook-sized pump can be seen)