Dear Mel,

Until WE diabetics start raising Hell in the Media, in the streets,
in Hollywood, in the halls of Congress, I don't see the Bill Gates of
this world doing anything for us.
AIDS research is getting hundreds of times the money (per afflicted
individual)because those affected
a cure. Hollywood has been wearing red ribbons for years. If AIDS is
cured as a result of Mr. Gates' money(and I hope it is) the Academy of
Motion Pictures Artists will probably create a new Academy Award in his
honor and have Elizabeth Taylor present it. Because of all the attendant
publicity associated
with AIDS Mr. Gates has already received tremendous kudos. Curing
Diabetes,until WE do something to change it,simply doesn't have the
Pizzazzzzzz as does a cure for AIDS.