Re: : [IP] Pump Training

In a message dated 1/30/01 1:25:58 AM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> >Out of curiosity, were people with Type 1 ever trained with the exchange
> >method?
> >>
> Of course they were! I always used the exchange method until just before I
> went on the pump last April and I have been Type l for 35 yrs.
>          Sue(dalgal)
I started with exchanges and then went to the point system.  Tried to put me
back on exchanges and I just never could stick with it, too restrictive.
I have met a diabetic who was diagnosed before I was and was always taught
carb counting.  Makes me sad and angry that where I live was so behind the
times that I didn't get that knowledge early.  In 1997 I was told by a dr
here (not an endo) that no one in this area taught carb counting when I asked
about it.  This was the same dr who insisted on changing me from ultra lente
that I had used successfully for 15 years to NPH because he was sure it would
work better.  It did not and he switched me back and apologized.  Shortly
after that I switched to my current endo and and began carb counting with MDI
in Jan of 1999.  What a wonderful change in life that was....

type 1 diagnosed 9-81
new pumper!!
started 8-21-2000