Re:[IP] Sore insertion sites

> My son started having problems with sore sites after a year of
> pumping, too.  His blood sugars would go up after 48 hours and the
> old site would have a big red bump when he took it out.  Josh uses a
> mix of Humalog and Velosulin.  His endo made him start changing
> sites every other day and that has helped, but if anyone has a
> different suggestion,

There are many things that can contribute to sore or red infusion
sites. If you are currently mixing insulins and still only can obtain
48 hours, then perhaps that really is not helping and is not needed.
Some other things to look at, try them one at a time so you know what
the problem is by the process of elimination.

1) possible allergy to the plastic in the cannula. Get some
samples of other sets, including the rapids (steel needle) and try
them for a week or so to see if that eliminates the redness

2) allergy to the tape on the set itself or if using a barrier layer
of tape, allergy to the barrier tape. If it's a mild allergy, it may
only manifest itself because of the break in the skin -- thus the
short set life. Try barrier films like Bards or Smith & Nephew. Some
people are sensitive to one and not the other.

3) likewise allergy to the prep material try variations as above

4) You, your son, or another family member is a staph carrier. This
is a real nuiscance, but does not hurt anything unless the bug gets
into the infusion site. Repeated site infections are the usual
give-a-way for this. Very good sterile field techniques and use of a
sterilizing prep such as providine (an iodine wipe) usually
eliminates the problem. It is important to wash hands and be
particularly careful about not touching your face -- we all do this
unconsciously all the time. Place all the infusion materials on a
clean paper towel and touch only with clean hands gingerly.

Hmmm..... probably forgetting something here, but that's a start.