Re: [IP] Sore insertion sites

email @ redacted wrote:
> My son started having problems with sore sites after a year of pumping, too.
> His blood sugars would go up after 48 hours and the old site would have a big
> red bump when he took it out.  Josh uses a mix of Humalog and Velosulin.  His
> endo made him start changing sites every other day and that has helped, but
> if anyone has a different suggestion, I would love to hear it.

This may be only ME, but I found that the hole in the plastic window
where the cannula leaves the button and goes down into the skin, was
causing site infections, apparently because it leaves the insertion
wound open to air, dirt and water.

I solved it by covering up the hole with a piece of Tegaderm -- put over
the plastic button on the line where the permanent part starts, and
going down over the whole plastic window.

Just to be scientific, after a few times with NO infection or redness, I
tried an undoctored Sil, and got an infection again.  Then I went back
to the covered Sil, and no infections. Tried regular Sil AGAIN, twice in
a row, and got infections both times. Went back to covered Sil, and no

So for me, at least, the problem is in that little hole. I did report my
case to MiniMed, but whether it has anything to do with anyone else, I
don't know. Might be worth a try.

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted