Re: [IP] Re:media/Moira's story of abducted girl

email @ redacted wrote:

> Yes I have been concerned about my child being abducted or in some sort of
> disaster and not being able to receive the type of care that he needs.  I
> asked the school nurse last Thursday if they had any type of emergency plans
> in case of a storm or some disaster that would keep Cory at school.  She said
> no there is no plan.  Schools have fire drills and tornado drills and I am
> sure they have emergency plans for terrorism.  They have looked into ways to
> protect all the healthy children, but what about children who have medical
> needs?  Granted this emergency nor the kidnapping would probably never
> happen, but what if....?  Thankfully, we are only a few blocks from the
> school, but some parents' children have long bus rides - what special plans
> have been made for them?  I worry more now that he is on a pump.  Since there
> is no long acting insulin on board, I know that he can't go very long without
> getting insulin.  Oh my, we could drive ourselves insane thinking of all the
> "what ifs."

Yes, there are plans in place for all kinds of emergencies. But in
Cory's case, he has special needs, so why don't YOU plan for the
possible emergency? How about keeping a spare bottle of insulin and a
syringe and instructions for how to use them in the clinic? You could
also make an instruction sheet to put in his bookpack, and make sure the
teacher and all other people who come into contact with him have their
own copies. You could also have an informational  class for all these
people at the beginning of each school year.

The school cannot refuse you if you request such a meeting. Put it in
Cory's 504. YOU have to be the head of Cory's educational medical plan
-- NONE of them know as much about diabetes as YOU do. They must focus
on the heavy, complicated responsibilities of running the whole school,
so YOU need to do your part for Cory.

 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted