Re: [IP] Pump Training

On 28 Jan 2001, at 0:33, Carey Gardner wrote:

> Just wondering how involved the pump training was that most of you had? I have
> heard of some people being put in the hospital for a week for their training.
> Would I need a whole week's training, since I am a new type 1?

Mine was very limited.  She, the trainer, went through her script
very quickly.  The reason was because I'd watched the video
several times, read the book (Pumping Insulin), practiced on the
arm of my chair (thank you, Natalie!) and went ahead and did it
myself.  I didn't want to wait 2 whole weeks. She was highly upset
when she found out (when she called me to make an appt for the
training, I'd already done several days of saline and had switched
over to insulin), and called my endo, who just laughed about it--she
knows I'm an independent cuss who's gonna do what I wanna do,
period.  :-)

> I don't even know what my carb/insulin ratio is...I was told that my doctor
> was supposed to help with this.

Yes, my endo gave me those numbers, but if I was better at this
stuff, I might have been able to figure it out after reading Pumping
Insulin.  Unfortunately, I don't seem to have an innate intuitive
sense about this insulin stuff.  So I rely heavily on my endo for
these things.

My spreadsheet helps me refine it, now that I have a sense of how
to calculate it.

> I will ask at the next visit. I am pretty good
> at estimating what certain foods will do...

now you see, even after almost a year, I *still* can't estimate like
that.  My husband does a far better job of it than I do.  And he only
pays marginal attention to this stuff.

so you're already ahead of me!