Re: [IP] CDC: Diabetes becoming epidemic : Rise in cases linked to increasing...

Natalie Sera <email @ redacted> wrote:

> > We, as type I,  need to become more pro active and tell
> > these people to keep their poor reporting from the general public.  This
> > just gives all diabetics a bad rap.
> As opposed to giving  only Type 2's a bad rap????

There's a fundamental problem with the public health/research community that
I've been trying to impact - unsuccessfully so far, and that is the use of
some technical terms that have a different meaning for the general public.
Specifically, the use of the word "risk" when it comes to weight, race, sex,
activity, etc., and type 2 diabetes.  When public health professionals use the
word, it means a statistical association which may or may not have a causal
relationship.  Unfortunately, to most people, risk is directly associated with
a cause and effect.  IOW, when a public health professional talks about
obesity as a risk factor for type 2, most people naturally assume that they
are saying obesity *causes* type 2.  In fact, that is not what is being said
at all.

Unfortunately, most of the public health professionals I've spoken to only
repeat that last without seeing that those whom they are trying to help find
the word offensive, and that's not the way to present one's work to the people
they're trying to help.  But maybe if I say it often enough to enough people .
. .

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my
wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.