Re: [IP] Q about Medicare

what part of AR do they live in??
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 22:58:27 -0800
From: momofmany <email @ redacted>
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] Q about Medicare
Sender: email @ redacted

I have a question about Medicare. My uncle was dx'd with type 2
last year. He is retired (after 30yrs) Air Force and all this
time, I thought he was seeing military drs. I found out tonight
that he is actually using Medicare (this will be relevant in a
moment!) Anyway, my mom was telling me tonight that my aunt had
recently bought some FastTake test strips (they got one of those
free meters that were offered a while back) and had told my mom
they were ~$66 (which my aunt was clearly not thrilled about.
They can't afford that.) I asked why they were paying for them
out of pocket when he was going through the military. Well that's
when I found out about the Medicare. I asked if the dr was not
having my uncle check his bgs and she said they were. But
apparently the dr did not write an RX for either a meter or
strips, just the oral meds my uncle is on. My question is...is
there something they are supposed to do to get RX's for these
things (beg? pray?)? Test strips are covered under Medicare for
type 2's, aren't they? Can my aunt file a claim for reimbursement
on the strips she bought? I wish I had known about this sooner.
This is the first mention of Medicare in all this time (and it's
not like I haven't shown an interest in his care. Someone has
just been very scanty with the details. I had no idea they've
been paying for test strips o-o-p!!! No wonder my uncle has been
so dang grumpy for the past few months!!!) :) I did pass on the
info that was shared here about the inexpensive Reli-On
meters/strips at WalMart. At least that would help a LOT if they
had to go that route because they couldn't get supplies covered
through Medicare.

Any help/suggestions/tips/advice, etc that I can pass along would
be appreciated very much! Thanks in advance!

Btw, they live in Arkansas (don't know if location has any effect
on benefits, but thought I'd throw that in, just in case.)

little guy due 3/10/01