Maybe telling him that Type-1 Diabetes, unlike AIDS, is not a contagious
disease.  It can strike anyone at any age at anytime.  It has no cure, and
the affects of this disease are far reaching.  Each person with diabetes is
consumed with this condition 24 hours per day.  Every single aspect of
their lives are affected including, but not limited to, health, education
and  employment.  The expenses, which are also lifelong, are
astronomical.  Diabetic supplies, including the pump, should never be
considered luxury items.  They are life sustaining necessities which should
be available to every single person who is stricken with this auto-immune
disease.  It's a shame that research for this disease should take a back
seat to any other, as people who are stricken with it will die immediately
without life sustaining treatment.