At 09:55 AM 1/28/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>I want to compose a short yet informative letter to send to Bill Gates about
>why he should give/challenge money for Diabetes Research.  He seems to be
>all over AIDS research and I need to convince him that WE need help here
>How does this disease effect US in our daily lives?  What hardships does
>this disease  bring to your life on a daily basis?
>Anything will help...
>I need some facts to put together...CAN ANYONE THINK OF ANYTHING I CAN USE?

I've always felt kind of conflicted when I read media articles about how
hard it is for AIDS patients on cocktail treatment to comply. On the one
hand, I have many friends who are HIV positive and many others who have
lost friends to AIDS.  I feel for them and agree that it is very difficult.
At the same time I think that having to take a few pills four times a day
at a particular time is much easier than trying to manage diabetes.  But we
don't get the press.

When I was on MDI (which most diabetics these days are also on) I had to
take my shots on time.  No sleeping late. No skipping lunch or afternoon
snack.  No eating dinner late or early.  My life was extremely
regimented.  Yet no matter how well I followed the rules I would always run
into trouble.  Because the action of the long-term insulin is so
unpredictable.  Because my hormones were acting up.  Because the weather
was changing.  Because of any number of unknown reasons.

The human body is not a machine.  We do not have a set mpg or
carbperinsulin ratio.  The variations in our driving conditions are much
more numerous.  Even now that I use a pump, I am on 24/7 alert.

Diabetes is a disease that requires attention every minute of the day.  I
can't eat without thinking about it, drive without thinking about it, have
sex without thinking about it, walk to the park with my kids without
thinking about it, work out at the gym without thinking about it, clean the
house without thinking about it, cook dinner without thinking about it, go
skiing without thinking about.  I can't do anything without thinking about
it long and hard.

Tell that to Bill,