Re: : [IP] Re: Complications with normal HgA1c's

In a message dated 1/26/01 9:30:29 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> This goes along with what our endo once told me. He said that
> when you present in DKA at dx (as my daughter did), your diabetes
> is harder to control than if you had caught it early. He also
> said no one can explain why that is, it just is. I think it is
> important for people to know how to do injections and have a
> basic knowledge of the different insulins, etc should the need
> ever arise, but I also think pump therapy should be started as
> early as possible. It is too bad that many kids aren't "allowed"
> to start until they are teens.
are you saying your dr said you'd always be harder to control if you
presented in DKA?  That is how i'm interpreting what you said and that hasn't
been true for me.  I'm probably not the easiest but no where near the hardest
to control.  I presented in a diabetic coma and was in that coma for 3 days
before I woke up.  Blood sugar was 1300.  Those hard and fast rules are still
a lot of YMMV>

type 1 diagnosed 9-81
new pumper!!
started 8-21-2000