Re: [IP] Re: CDC/Epidemic article

Linda <email @ redacted> wrote:

> I haven't read the article yet, but as I recall, 1999 was about the time
> of the professional criteria used to diagnose diabetes was lowered.  Using
> the newer standards, SOME people who previously did not have levels high
> enough to diagnose "diabetes" would now be diagnosed with diabetes.  This
> would be part of an explanation for a sudden rise in new cases of diabetes.
> I wonder, did the article address this?

That is certainly part of the picture.  However, even adjusting for a change
in diagnostic criteria, the growth in the incidence rate is larger than would
be expected.  Same with more diligent screening.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my
wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.