[IP] Re: Dentists....

Natalie wrote: <<<And dentists have operating expenses
just like physicians -- why are you willing to accept
visits to your endo every 3 months, when all he does
is pop into the room, says you're doing great, and
then charges $120 for it -- and then criticize a
dentist for what is basically the same thing?
I don't mean to be on a rant here, but it's way too
easy to criticise people when you haven't a clue as to
what or why they're doing what they're doing.>>>>

First of all, my dentist rarely looks in my mouth more
than 5 minutes and charges me $100+ for that
"service." My diabetologist has never spent less than
20 minutes per visit and spends longer reviewing bg
results than my dentist spends in my mouth.  My endo
only charges $56 per visit, not $120.  Also, last year
I spent 50 days hospitalized and my dr. never missed a
day, weekends, holiday, and his birthday included.  He
was at the hospital within 4 hours of my admit. He is
a pumper and has had T1 for 38 yrs, so he knows how
his patients lives are led.  He is dedicated.  I
haven't had a dedicated dentist since I was 10 years
old, twenty long years ago.  Dentists have changed and
seem more interested in profit than people. One
dentist I've been to once even bragged about how much
more time and money he had than an M.D. I do have a
clue of what I'm talking about, do you?

Excerpt From Anthem International:
The Inspector General's Report attributed these low
utilization rates to a shortage of dentists who will
accept Medicaid patients due to inadequate payment
rates, slow Medicaid payments, arbitrary denials, and
prior authorization requirements. Also, the current
strong economy has resulted in a period of high
profitability and increased patient loads for many
dentists, leaving little incentive for dentists to
open their practices to the Medicaid population (Hill,
1999). These data signal a crisis in access to dental
care for many Americans, particularly the economically
The lack of access to oral health care for the poor
and near-poor often forces people to wait until their
diseases have reached the acute stage before they seek
treatmentand then they often seek it in the emergency
room (Hill, 1999). Unfortunately, few hospitals
provide dental services. Most are only able to provide
short-term solutions, such as pain medication or
antibiotics, for otherwise easily treated oral
conditions until those conditions become medical
emergencies (White, 1993). Instead of having a cavity
filled, for example, a patient must often wait until
the tooth has rotted to the point of needing
extraction before the hospital can provide care
("Statement of the Coalition for Oral Health,"

***These are the true facts, not the way we imagine it
is!!!!!!  This needs to change NOW and until it does,
my general opinion of dentists will remain the same!

Do You Yahoo!?