Re: [IP] CDC: Diabetes becoming epidemic : Rise in cases linked to increasing...

Janet L.,

  While reading your 'rant' about the sterio types given to people...how many
of you out there heard this one.........oh he probably was allowed to eat too
much sugar, candy, sodas when he was little and that is what 'gave' it to
him...????   Boy when I first starting hearing these types of comments after
Joshua was dxd at the age of 5 it added so much more to the guilt I was
already feeling for him having been diagnosed.  I started wondering to myself
if maybe they were right, had he been allowed to have too many sweets up to
that point.  I mean, I didn't know anything at that time and I, like so many
others, wondered if these things could 'cause' this dreadful thing to happen
to my son.

  To put it in a nutshell folks...IGNORANCE...that is what causes 99.8% of
those hurtful, stupid things that even the best intended person will say.
Shoot, I may have been one of those people once.  And I know that when it
comes to some other diseases or what-not, that I may have been the first
person to say something stupid because I don't know all there is to know
about what is going on.

  I have become more tolerant of stupidity and others with their own
inflictions since my son's diagnosis.  We on this list know how stupid some
of the things that are being said are.  EDUCATION is the BEST weapon against
fighting this and all other diseases out there.  Those of us who are educated
(and I mean each one of us on this list, degree or no degree) have enough
knowledge to help fight atleast the ignorance that is running rampant in the
news and other forms of media.  We come from all walks of life from probably
every corner of the globe.  If we could all educate atleast one other person
about this disease then think of what good that would do to ours and everyone
else's life when dealing with this disease.  And just think what it could do
if one of those people that we educated was a..GULP..politician...HMMM...are
they educatable...???

Coming down from the pulpit now...Sorry!

mom to Joshua