Re: [IP] Re: Flossing, Dentists, etc........

Jill Patrick wrote:
> Since I originally started this thread on flossing, I
> had to put my "tooth" cents worth in on the subject of
> dentists.  My endo and I have had a conversation about
> dentists recently.  He said, "what the heck do
> dentists do to get pd all that $$ for anyway?  They
> don't give too much direct pt. care, don't have to go
> to hospitals or be awakened in middle of night for
> emergencies."

Then why do I remember the phone ringing in the middle of the night, and
my father grumpily getting up and going down to the office?????

Or to put it in the opposite perspective, physicians do EXACTLY the same
thing -- don't give too much direct pt. care, and don't go to hospitals
in the middle of the night for emergencies. (That's what the emergency
room doc is for!)

> General dentists don't even do
> extractions, root canals, crowns, dentures anymore.

I've never had an extraction, root canal or denture, but my dentist does
crowns and fillings when necessary.

>Now, the only thing my dentist does is
> look at my teeth for 3 minutes, gives advice and runs
> off to next pt.  Then if you need a filling, they'll
> schedule it later, more $$ that way.

No, they schedule it later because they don't allot that kind of time
for exams. Hopefully, most patients will NOT need fillings, and it would
be wasteful to schedule a long appt. for each patient when it most
likely won't be needed.

> So, I tend to
> agree with my doc on dentists.  Don't like them, think
> they're a rip off and always trying to line each
> others pockets, but am still forced by necessity to
> go.

How much money do you think the materials alone for that gold crown
cost??? Plus the time spent to custom-cast it for YOUR tooth, and then
finish it down so that it won't irritate your gums or your other teeth?

And dentists have operating expenses just like physicians -- why are you
willing to accept visits to your endo every 3 months, when all he does
is pop into the room, says you're doing great, and then charges $120 for
it -- and then criticize a dentist for what is basically the same thing?

I don't mean to be on a rant here, but it's way too easy to criticise
people when you haven't a clue as to what or why they're doing what
they're doing.

What's that expression? Don't criticize someone until you've walked a
mile in their shoes!!!!!

And in case you don't think this is DM-related, it's VERY DM related --
how many of you out there have complained about "hurtful" remarks made
by non-DMers who just don't understand what you go through??????
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted