[IP] http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/cgi/archives/mail-insulin-pumper s/Jan2001/msg02722.html

Jim Handsfield wrote:
>Now, as a type 1 diabetic, I can certainly agree that I wish there were more
>known about this damned disease, and more options for effective management,
>up to and including a true cure.  But given the resources available (and
>foreseeable availability, even if funds were to double), attacking type 2
>diabetes has the more compelling position for public health resources.

That's very well put. I've been thinking about this a lot because I'm
getting ready to write a long letter to my congresswoman, Barbara
Lee, about funding for diabetes research. In all conscience, I don't
feel right about asking her to support funding for research for a cure
for type 1 without also acknowledging the pressing need for better
prevention and treatment for type 2 -- especially since Lee represents
a largely African American and Latino district, and these communities
are very hard-hit by type 2. I've been very glad to see type 2 diabetes
getting more attention during the last few years. The myth that type 2
is a less severe condition than type 1 causes a lot of suffering.

But, like Lindsey, I'm unhappy that the AP article doesn't recognize
the distinction between the two broad categories of type 1 and type 2.
I don't find it insulting, just frustrating. This lack of clarity leads to
all kinds of confusion. I do think it's important to understand this
difference, because it's crucial in helping people look at their treat-
ment options. There are so many myths and misconceptions about
diabetes! Having been told by more than one medical professional that
I couldn't have type 1 because I was diagnosed in my 30's, I'm really
disturbed by how ignorant about diabetes people are -- even people
who should know better.

/Janet L.