[IP] Minimed's New Headquarters/100,000th pumper

MiniMed Inc. Announces Grand Opening of Worldwide Corporate Headquarters

NORTHRIDGE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 25, 2001--MiniMed Inc. (Nasdaq: <A HREF="aol://4785:MNMD">MNMD
</A>) today announced the grand opening of its worldwide corporate headquarters
on the North campus of the California State University Northridge. The Alfred
E. Mann Biomedical Park houses the Company's headquarters, which is located
on 19 acres and comprises over 500,000 square feet of advanced laboratory,
manufacturing and office space. The Company intends to expand its complex to
28 acres on the University's North campus. An agreement between MiniMed and
the University includes cooperative programs to promote educational
development, including joint research, work study programs and student

Commenting on the occasion, Alfred E. Mann, Executive Chairman of MiniMed,
stated, "Today marks a momentous occasion for MiniMed, California State
University Northridge and the City of Los Angeles. This state-of-the art
facility enables MiniMed to bring to market revolutionary products to improve
the lives of people with diabetes, as well as provide educational and
employment opportunities in the San Fernando Valley. We are particularly
pleased with the support we received from Mayor Richard Riordan and the City
of Los Angeles, and are committed to a strong partnership with CSUN, which
includes internships and research activities for the students and faculty."

Terrance H. Gregg, President and Chief Operating Officer of MiniMed, added,
"Today, we are celebrating two important milestones in MiniMed's history -
the grand opening of our worldwide corporate headquarters and our 100,000th
pump customer, eight year-old Tyler Roy who received his pump last October.
Tyler is a reflection of how far we have come as an organization, as over
100,000 people living with diabetes are wearing MiniMed pumps. As the
diabetes epidemic continues to escalate, we are positioned to capture market
opportunities through our high volume manufacturing systems and sophisticated
product platforms, including our microinfusion pump technology and continuous
glucose monitoring systems."

MiniMed Inc. designs, develops, manufactures and markets advanced infusion
systems with a primary emphasis on the intensive management of diabetes. The
Company's products include external pumps and related disposables, a first
generation continuous glucose monitoring system as well as exclusive
marketing rights to an implantable insulin pump, which is currently approved
for distribution in the European Community and has not yet been cleared for
marketing in the U.S. The Company is also developing new infusion systems to
deliver compounds designed to treat a variety of medical conditions.