Re: [IP] Re: Low blood sugars and ketones???

In a message dated 1/26/01 3:47:56 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> that is why any time you are ill, whether the bg is

not sure if I'd sent an earlier post to IP on this topic or not, but now that
flu season is upon us, this is CRITICAL information..do not be deluded by
in-range bgs...Keri has given an easy to understand explanation for the
mechanics of how this happens, but the bottom line is that I know of too many
cases now where the child or adult with diabetes wound up hospitalized in
need of IV fluids because the illness threw off the body chemistry...By ONLY
monitoring bgs & seeing normal ranges, the parent/patient never even thought
of ketones...ESPECIALLY critical with vomiting....I posted this to a parents
group & 3 or 4 parents responded to say this had happened to them recently &
they were totally unprepared....
Regards, Renee (Melissa's pump mom)