[IP] insulin as self-defence weapon?

Forgive me if this seems overly silly, but yesterday while out hiking I
encountered a bull who gave me a fright and made motions that he was
considering approaching me with great speed.  I got to wondering if I were
to be charged, would a loaded insulin pen jabbed into an animal (or human
attacker for that matter) work as a method of self defence?  Anybody ever
consider carrying a loaded insulin pen instead of pepper spray?  Would it
kill someone?  Could it cause enough trouble for someone or some animal
quickly enough to work as a defence of any kind?

These are the things I think about when walking for hours in the New
Zealand bush!