[IP] Anyone like to comment.

I don't think there is any problem with 3000 people voicing their opinions
about a topic at the suggestion of another person.  I only think it is a
problem if people are rude and use intimidating and threatening  language.
To simply call or write and say you are disappointed with a persons decision
in no way constitutes harassment over the internet.  I would think that the
guy should expect such things with his job.  After all being an editor of a
paper usually involves a fair bit of contact with the public.