Re: [IP] teen control problems

Lindsey and Rae:
    I know you don't want to hear this but it WILL get better with time. At
age 18, Melissa is taking less basal insulin & seeing generally much better
bgs than when she was younger. As she matures & takes increasing
responsibility for herself, she's also more open to healthier eating, which
automatically impacts her bgs positively.
     In the interim, we do the best we can to empower & support our kids so
that they don't have the additional pain of thinking they're letting us down
too. Without the burdens of diabetes, it's not easy being a teenager today.
>From my perspective as a mother of 2 girls ages 18 & 19, and my 15 yrs as a
high school teacher, I've learned that one of the more important insights a
parent can offer a child is the knowledge that mistakes are made & that the
best we humans can do is learn from them & try to do better the next time.
Feeling self-imposed pressure to be "good"(perfect???) only heightens the
anixety.  The issues with menstrual cycles, hormones, sports highs & lows,
emotional & psychological stress from school work, socially-mediated poor
decisions, dawn phenomenon, teenaged junk food preferences, etc.  are but a
handful of the 100+ factors that can impact a teenager's blood sugars. Adding
guilt/frustration to that mix only worsens the scenario, so I try to
"trouble-shoot" with Melissa, if she asks for my help- otherwise, I have to
trust that after 5 yrs of pumping, she knows far better than I what changes
to make- whether it's an overdue site change, a need for basal fasting tests,
time for a call to her CDE for a "touch-up" appt., etc. Ultimately (and a lot
quicker than you'd have thought - right Michael???) these hormonal teens will
be out of the nest, dealing with this essentially on their own (BIG GULP!)
   so hang in there & feel free to vent here whenever.....
Regards, Renee (Melissa's pump mom)