Re: [IP] teen control problems

I am the mother of a 14 year old girl.  We have similar problems.  As her
hormones kick in (new blemishes, bad period cramps, etc), the sugars go high.
 And intense exercise gives her severe lows during the night.  It really
clicked with me when you used the words "chase the highs" and "detour the
lows".  That is exactly what we are doing.  The pump does not easily solve
these problems; only helps us do our exhausting, and at times depressing,
work.  Teens on pumps have the worst A1cs of all pump users.  Why?  Because
the parents have less control over the teens (as opposed to little kids) and
the teens themselves are in a physical state of flux, dealing with
overwhelming schedules that create sleep deficits to further aggravate an
increased need for sleep, emotional pressures, and great variation in the
character of their days, either super active or sitting on the couch watching
TV.  Bgs in the 100s, all day, would be an accomplishment for us too.  I have
resigned myself to accepting mediocre a1cs (mid to high 7s) for a while.  If
it were my body, I can see where I would manage things differently, but it is
not my body.  So all I can do is suggest, and then if she starts slacking off
too much, we have a talk with her.  My husband had both a brother and sister
with diabetes growing up, and they have paid a psychological price.  So he
reminds me to "let it go" from time to time.  We just started with a new endo
team, after hopping around and feeling like orphans, and this has helped
considerably.  Ideally, it is the frequent visits to a motivating endo team
that coaches the teen.  That takes some of the load off you.  Listening to
the adult diabetics in this group have helped me because it sounds as if they
all went through periods of bad control as kids, teens and young adults.
Keep up your good work, and try not to get down.  This disease is BAD.  And
as my husband reminds me, "It is a marathon, not a sprint."  I have an
achieving, goal oriented personality, and when given a number to shoot for
(like an A1C goal), I work like the devil to get there.  I have pulled back
from that because there may be a period of months or years when the goal will
not be reached; in spite of our very best efforts.  In the meantime, our
relationship with our daughter is the most important thing, and I don't want
to add to the stress already presented by parenting a diabetic teen.  It is
hard.  I have another kid who is not diabetic.  It is a real difference.  And
our diabetic daughter is the one with the more reasonable, upbeat
personality!  Boy, am I rambling!