[IP] low blood sugar treatment can kill

Ellen posted:
>>Low-blood sugar diabetes treatment can kill-study

By Gene Emery

BOSTON, Jan 24 (Reuters) - A common treatment for diabetic
children whose
blood sugar has fallen too low can cause fatal brain
swelling, researchers
from the University of California at Davis School of
Medicine warned in
Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine.

The treatment involves giving the children a sodium
bicarbonate injection to
youngsters whose blood sugar level is too low, a condition
known as diabetic
ketoacidosis. <<

Pardon me, but I think the writer has some facts mixed up.
The study refers to DKA treatment, NOT low BG treatment.
Also, this study does not provide new information. I have
been teaching this for quite some time. The first time I
updated that information was in 1990, using medical
resources that describe DKA treatment. When updating
lectures each year, the same information still held up.

Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE