Re:[IP] Re: Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off to Floss I Go...

I'm a dental hygienist and have been watching the discussion about flossing
and diabetes and perio disease.  Incidentally, I've been a type 1 for forty
years and pumping for 1 1/2 years.  Periodontal disease is often referred to
as the sixth diabetic complication.  I know we all have a lot to worry about
and you all didn't want to hear about something else. Diabetes also puts you
at high risk for perio disease.  But periodontal disease is preventable and
controllable, especially if caught early.  The best thing you can do for
yourself is to keep the cleanest mouth possible.  We are not talking about
about a big time investment. But if you are brushing for less than two minutes
at a time daily you are not doing an effective job.  I also am very partial to
the Sonicare toothbrush. I highly recommend it to all my patients, diabetic or
not. But even the Sonicare is not a substitute for flossing.  Even the
Sonicare people say you should floss. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't
take more than 30 seconds.  Any hygienist will be more than happy to show you
how to do it properly.  If you are seeing a dentist who does his own cleanings
(other than a periodontist  or a dentist who used to be a hygienist) you may
want to consider finding a dentist with a hygienist. That last is just my
opinion, of course.  Additionally, if you have any periodontal disease - which
means any pockets greater than 3 mm. you should get professional cleanings
every three months. Even if your insurance only pays twice a year.  We all
that insurance companies are concerned with their bottom lines and not our
health.  It's worth it if you have to pay out of your pocket every other time.
So everyone out there, if you haven't been to a dentist for a while, make an
appointment and make sure someone checks your periodontal condition when you
go.  Then go regularly.  And don't forget to floss.  it's one of the best
things you can do for yourself with 30 seconds.
Miriam, RDH