Re: [IP] Merck-Medco - Similar story

In a message dated 1/24/01 6:26:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Eli Lilly told me that once insulin is opened or has been out over the 24
> hour time period, the insulin must be used within 28 days.  I received a
> three month supply so there was no way I could use all 5 bottles within this
> timeframe.
> I was told by the Merck Medco pharmacist, to try the insulin out and see if
> my blood sugar readings seemed accurate.  I didn't feel I should have to
> experiment with my own body to see if the insulin was okay.  I have enough
> factors that affect my blood sugar control as it is.  I did not need another
> factor such as bad insulin to worry about for the next three months

This is ridiculous.  Since I started this venting over Merck Medco yesterday,
many people have written back with their experiences.  Each persons
experience have been different despite the fact that we need the same drug
and have to use the same company to get it.  I can't believe that there is
not a set rule on how insulin is to be handled.  Someone must govern these
things to protect the consumer.  Everyone has been told a different story by
Merck Medco and Eli Lily.  Is there truly no regulations that have to be
followed here.