[IP] Complications with normal HgA1c's`

I have had type 1 diabetes for 29 years. My HgA1c's have been in the
non-diabetic range for the last seven years and no higher than 7.8 in the
last 11 years for which I have kept records. This year I have developed the
signs of early kidney disease (microalbuminaria) and now retinopathy, along
with cataracts. My question is, even though I have normal A1's, my blood
sugars have fluctuated between about 30 and 400 in the last few years, and
even more before five shots a day, do the wide fluctuations lend themselves
toward the complications? Maybe, it's the accumulative highs over the 29
years? I have an appointment with the pump trainer on Monday, January 29.