[IP] Fwd: Re:Air travel

From: email @ redacted
Full-name: Joelleram
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:16:36 EST
Subject: Air travel
To: email @ redacted

Since it would be a major hassle to change a set in the air make sure that
your reservoir has enough insulin to last the trip.
I was always told to travel with double the amount of supplies that you think
you may need and it has paid off more than once.  One trip I was
unexpectantly hospitalized and the hospital nurses had no idea how my pump
worked, how to change a set and they didn't have the supplies available for
my pump.  Thank God that I had an extra four days of supplies on hand!

Also, years ago I read a research article supposedly from Lily about the
x-ray machines affecting insulin. I have contacted Lily in the past year and
they did not verify this, yet suggested it be hand checked, just in case.  I
always ask that my extra insulin to be hand checked.  I insist on opening the
bag as there have been many close calls with vials almost falling out on the
floor.  A line like,"Let me do that for you, I wouldn't want you to get poked
with a syringe or anything."  warrants cooperation.

When traveling alone, especially, have a card in your wallet with  insulin
pump identification information.  I printed a small amount on a piece of
paper and stuck it in my wallet where a license would go.  Be sure to state,
" Do not remove this pump."
Good luck!  More than likely these safeguards will not be needed, but are
good practice, just in case.