[IP] approval letter from the insurance company

Dear Fellow Insulin Pumpers,

I got a letter in the mail from the Insurance company about my approval today.  I want to share part of it with you because it might give us insight why I was approved then I appealed the denial.  To get the pump initially, there were only form letters of medical necessity sent to the Insurance Company.  Upon my appeal, I sent a personal letter that described my situation, as well as family history.  My doctor also sent a letter of why he felt I was appropriate for the pump.  I also provided my blood sugar and insulin records for about a half a month.  The following is a quote from the letter I received from the insurance company about my approval.
The basis for our appeal determination is as follows: based on review by a board-certified endocrinologist, the request for the insulin pump is approved as medically necessary.  In this young man, aggressive blood glucose control is medically necessary in order to prevent end organ damage during his lifespan.  Given his erratic work schedule, it is unlikely that he will maintain adequate control with multiple daily injections.  Optimal control would be much more likely with use of an insulin pump.  Given his age, the frequency of his hyperglycemic blood glucose measurements and the fact that he appears to be well motivated and diligent, the pump is medically necessary.

I pass this information on to others who are having trouble with their insurance companies in hopes that it will assist them in getting their pumps.  I firmly believe that once I sent personal information I was able to get the pump approved.  Good Luck to everyone trying to get their pumps.  Feel free to e-mail any questions.

>From a very soon to be a pumper
WC Edwards

Get your free web based email from Crosswalk.com: