[IP] Re: youngest pumper

Why would a Fed scale be necessary? They make baby scales, and
many of them cost no more than a regular digital bath scale! You
can also rent them cheaply (and in this case I bet insurance
would pay.) In one of my parenting books (by Penelope Leach) she
says if you are concerned about the amount of breastmilk your
baby is getting, to weigh them on a baby scale immediately before
and after feeding (without changing clothing or diaper) and the
difference is approx how much they received. Like I said, it is a
lot more accurate than taking a guess from how long the baby ate
(that makes no sense, as a baby could literally sit at the breast
for an hour, meanwhile, that doesn't mean they got much while
they were there. One baby might get 4oz after an hour while
another may get 8oz after that same time.) When you weigh, you
are getting an actual volume of milk on which to base your
calculations. Makes a lot more sense to me. Maybe I'm just weird
though! :)

Think of it as the difference between weighing your food on a
scale to determine grams of carbs as opposed to eyeballing it (or
saying, well it took me half an hour to eat it so it must have
this many carbs. Makes no sense.) There is a big difference,
unless you're just really good at eyeballing.
Mike said:
I imagine so, but wouldn't you need a "Fed"* scale to measure the
amount ingested?

*  The scale at the Federal Reserve Bank of NY, about 13 flights
street level, is incredibly sensitive.  My boss audited the fed a
few years
ago and one of the things he tested was their scale that is kept
bars with all the gold (much, MUCH more than Fort Knox).  The guy
by the
scale showed him by putting a one dollar bill on the scale, and
registered.  He then took the bill off, and wrote on the bill
with a
pencil, merely a line of an inch or so, and tossed it back on the
Yup, the scale registered that the bill was a tiny teenie bit

> From: Kerri <email @ redacted>

> Couldn't they simply weigh the baby before and after each feeding
> to determine approx amount of breastmilk ingested? Seems that
> would be MUCH more accurate than just taking a guess.

little guy due 3/10/01