[IP] Re: Flossie

> Your hygienist was only trying to pass along some recent
> information that does sound weird, but is substantiated by
> some recent research. It appears that periodontal disease is
> related to heart disease and that diabetics have a higher
> than usual association between the two. Now whether flossing
> will actually decrease the incidence of heart disease is up
> to you and your own buccal organisms.

Actually, I think that her dentist was just letting her know what
dentists have known for quiite awhile.  I also think that she saw the
start of periodontal disease.  Dm'ers get periodontal disease much more
easily than non dm'ers.  My periodontalist(sp ?) has known this for
years and told me that dm'ers are a disproportionate part of his

Flossing does save your gums, roots and teeth.  The added benefit of
saving your heart is a plus.  My heart is fine (one of the few body
parts that works correctly for me).  Every square centimeter of our
bodies is affected by diabetes.  It is our choice to take care of them
or ignore them.  I just don't want to go under the periodontal scalpel
for the third time, or lose my teeth.  In the first 15 years of my
diabetes I didn't take care of anything, especially my teeth and I have
paid for it.  I floss corrctly now, just as I've changed my whole
lifestyle to to try to stave off all of the complications that WILL
affect me.

Only floss the teeth you want to keep.
Jack Granowski
email @ redacted
dx 10/66, D H-Tron 7/93, Hb A1c 5.9
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
 Robert Kennedy?

"Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly."
 John F Kennedy?