[IP] 24 hour protein tests and dipsticking

I've never had to do a 24 hour jug test-which is ok
considering I've only had diabetes 2 yrs.However, that
isn't the reason I haven't had one-in the year after
being dx'd,my doctor switched to a single simple urine
test collected on the yearly physical to test for
microalbuminuria and discontinued the jug test.Quite
honestly,I don't understand that-how it would work.Do
the results of a single speciman get estimated for an
entire day?Also,is it necessary to have a MA test
every year after diagnosis since kidney problems don't
usually present for about five years anyway?Would a
simple protein dipstick suffice for the first few
years unless there were obvious problems?This may
sound hyperchrondriatic but its something I'm curious about.

Do You Yahoo!?