Re: [IP] Measures of "control"-- from Dr. Joe

How are the standards set for the laboratories? The one my clinic uses says a
normal A1C is 4.0 - 5.0  My A1C is 7.2
I am on prednisone.  Prednisone makes my bgs go up and it has taken a lot of
work for me to keep it in the 7.0 range.
My clinic changed laboratories and the other lab had their standards between
6-7 for a normal A1C. Now my doctor says my A1Cs are too high and wants me to
get to a 5 but with prednisone that will never happen.  And I think I would go
low many time trying to get to a 5 because I have lows trying to keep at
7.  I have no eye damage, no kidney problems and my cholesterol is 184 and
other tests are good so far.
I don't know what to do. I am wondering why labs now have lower numbers for
and are we able to ever keep them at normal range?  Right now I am not able to
and prednisone is a long term medication for me.
I am just curious as to how laboratories get these low numbers and why
there is
so much pressure to keep A1C this low.  A couple of years ago the 7 was a
target to get too.