[IP] Re: Full responsibility

My parents quit doing that when, once when we had company, I was
told to finish my plate. I kept saying I was full. They gave me
the guilt trip thing. I kept saying I was full. They said to
finish my plate. I said *ooookay*. Tried to eat more but couldn't
swallow another bite (it wouldn't go down) and promptly puked
right into my plate. (Couldn't help it. I *said* I was full!) I
got in sooo much trouble over that (I didn't do it on purpose.)

I take my kids' word for it when they say they're full!!! :) To
me (and I've thought this since I was a child), the simple
solution is: 1) don't put food on the plate that you know they
don't like and know they won't eat and 2) put smaller portions on
the plate - they can always go back for more, and 3) when they
say they're full, believe it, and 4) the state of affairs in
other countries is not the kids' problem. I just wish I had the
guts to say that when I was a kid. :)

Darrin said:
Good answer, Sylvia!  I wish i would have had the temperment ot
tell my parents where to mail their food! ;-/ Yeah, I got that
guilt trip as well. Almost 30 years later I still get that one
plus the ol':  "you make me feel so bad you don't want to eat my
food" thing.  Glad Christmas dinner only comes once a year and
that I can avoid many family events!

little guy due 3/10/01