[IP] when did you have full responsibility for your diabetes

I have been reading all the different responses with great interest.  I was
diagnosed at 14 and am now almost 53 ( in two weeks) and managing diabetes
was a great deal different back then before glucose meters and multiple shots
- but I manages my diabetes by myself from the very beginning.  My parents
were wonderful about their attitude toward the diagnosis and never thought of
it as a "death sentence" when talking to me although I know they always
worried about me.  They always encouraged me to do everything that my friends
were doing and I did.  I went to camp for many summers and not a diabetes
camp and went to the infirmary to pick up my insulin and give myself shots.
I went to Europe after my first year in college for 7 weeks with two girl
friends and had a wonderful time.  My husband and I travel a great deal to
many countries including Africa, Guatemala, China, Thailand, Malasia.  Last
summer we hiked in Switzerland and it was shortly after I started on the pump
and travel was much easier including changing time zones and changing
activity levels. I have taken several weekend biking trips and again being
onthe pump was much easier than before I was on the pump. I always think my
mother was wonderful in giving me the attitude that if I was responsible I
could handle most situations with little diffifulty.  Try to give that
message to your children and they will be much more accepting of their
responsibility in handling their control.  Debby