Re: [IP] Disney D kid pass! I worked there yes there is one!

I can see a long, heated thread starting here!

This issue has been visited numerous times over the years - esp in tghe
misc.health.daibetes newsgroup.

The short answer is that the issue of being "special" or being "disabled"
when dealing with D is a very individual application of these terms.  We
have all watched people with the slightest health problem use that problem
as an excuse or crutch.  Be it slight allergies or a bad back.  Both of the
later can be just a nuisance or can be life-threatening depending on the

Obviously anyone with some advanced complications can consider themselves
(if they must or want to): "disabled" and the law usually agrees.

The below pertains to those of us with only minor or early stage
complications and the kids indeed need to treat ourselves differently in
thousands of aspects of life in contrast to the average person.  Does this
qualify for "special" treatment by others or to ask for the label of

Are we *entitled* "to getting a break in life elsewhere" because we have so
much more physical, economic and emotional crap to deal with than the
average person?  IMHO"  If you feel "entitled" and getting a bit of a break
elsewhere in life make your feel better or makes DM easier to manage, go
for it.  Don't live by rigid rules of others or the majority.

Personal bias:

I resent not getting the care nor the medical attention I needed as a kid.
Otherwise there is no question that economically I am disadvantaged.  I
must make an extra $6,000 per year in after tax income to pay for diabetes
supplies and prescription drugs.  Therefore I wil use diabetes as a crtuch
to get a job which has a healthcare plan and gives employment preference to
"disabled".  I am prohibited bu law form working in a public safety related
area. I cannot guarrentee that I will be 100% pghysically reliable 100% of
the time due to hypos or pump emergencies.  Most employers will not add a
heavy healthcare plan user to the payroll due to the extra premiums that
involves for the employer.  I need 14 more sick-days per year than the
average employee due to medical apts and lazer treatments etc.  Yes, I
consider myself economically disabled.  I do not have an equal opportunity
to earn a living compared to the average Canadian.

IMHO:  If there is a way, regardless of what it is called, to make DM
easier or affordable or to avoid hypos or hypers, use it.  Otherwise, I ask
myself:  "Can I do this without "special treatment from the outside?  The
answer for me is "no" in all areas except where economics is concerned.

>I thought that we were trying to not be 'different.''  I would certainly not
>feel ethically right in accepting a pass to not have to wait in line.  We are
>not disabled...while I do acknowledge that a person with extensive
>complications may not be able to stand in line (esp. neuropathy, CHF.)  But
>children are capable of standing in line, unless of course the child is there
>with Make-a-Wish, etc., or is physically handicapped.
>My mom never let me get away with stuff when I tried to use my diabetes as an
>excuse.  We went to plenty of amusement parks when I was a kid and I checked
>my sugar while in line plenty of times, as well as took my insulin there,
>too.  This was well before I had ever heard about the pump.  What makes
>today's children so special?
>Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  48% improvement in average bg's and 80% fewer hypos)!