[IP] RE: Definition of "cure"

>My definition of a cure is that I would no longer have to count
>everything I
>put in my mouth and check my bg's 10x per day, and take insulin to cover it
>all.  To wake up in the am and know that diabetes will not be one of the
>main focuses of my life for the day.  My 2 cents worth.

If I were cured, it would be a very long time, if ever, that I would come to
a full realization that I was cured.  I would, out of habit, continue to
count or at least be aware of everything I would eat.  I would probably
continue to test just to remind myself that it was no longer necessary to do
so.  And the pump would prove to be a lifesaver because if I were still on
MDI I would probably get up in the morning, test, inject, and be found some
time later on the floor.  And away from home, I think I would always be
aware that something was amiss, that I forgot my pump and all the other
paraphernalia.  I would for a very long time feel like a fish out of water.
My body might be cured but I have doubts if, by any definition, my mind
would be cured.

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998