Re: [IP] Re: Insulin stinging revisited

> Michael,
>
> I wanted to thank you for the suggestion about splitting a bolus in
> half so that the insulin doesn't string. Paul has always complained
> that a bolus stings after a site change. One of the reasons we do a
> site change is when numbers climb and we want to make sure the site
> isn't bad. So, a bolus immediately after a site change is not a
> rarity. Anyway, the last time we did it, we split the bolus is half
> and he reported no stinging!!! I don't know if it's psychological or
> not, but I don't care. As long as my son is more comfortable, I'm
> happy!!! Thanks again.
>
> JANICE,

You are very welcome. I believe the stinging sensation is from the
insulin being infused near a nerve ending. The pressure from the
fluid expanding in the tissue probably pushes on the nerve and zings
it. Lily complains once in a while about it when the set is inserted
"funny" she just split boluses and it is not a problem. I'm glad her
experience was useful to you.

Michael