Re: [IP] When did you have "full" responsibility for your diabetes?

I was diagnosed two weeks after my 11th birthday, and took full control
within the first 6 months or so.  My mom wanted to know what my test results
(gotta love those laboratory experiments in the bathroom) and, with the
exception of a few episodes of DKA, she let me "handle" it myself.  Wasn't
always easy, and I oftentimes fudged test results and reports on what I was
eating, but she let me live with the consequences.  She never thought I'd
live beyond the age of 36 (I'm 43 now), but she did me a tremendous favor by
giving me the tools and info I needed to take care of myself and let me
"go".  Kids can, given the right tools and information, are very astute and
can learn very quickly what does and doesn't work.  We need to give them all
the info and be a support in any and all aspects when they ask us.