That is because there is a lag - the ketones show up in the urine
a few hours after they show up in the blood, at least according
to the Pink Panther book. :) So, going by that, you wouldn't
necessarily get a + result in the urine at the same time. Also,
from my understanding, there are a couple of different types of
ketones - some are expelled via the lungs whereas the ketone
strips check for a different type.

Charisma said:
(some snipped)
But at the time I can smell that breath, no Ketones and no high
BG. Weird, eh?  High blood sugar Ketones don't cause that breath
warning though--only  the ketones caused by "stress."

little guy due 3/10/01