[IP] Re: Regular Insulin and Pump

You're in good company! There are a few of us here who have had
the same thing happen. The good news is, the A1C WILL go down
eventually. It just seems to take longer for some than others. It
IS very discouraging though when you work so hard, only to see no
change or a higher A1C. You would think you'd see some
improvement (even if only slight) after all that work. Our endo
actually said to me once, in the beginning, that "we ought to be
able to do better than this on the pump" (he was not critical of
me, he actually blamed himself.) Even though the A1C didn't go
down in our case (and is only gradually going down now after 1yr)
we have gotten SO MUCH freedom and flexibility back in our lives
due to the pump, and I think that is equally important. It has
improved my daughter's (and our) life considerably. I try to
remember that when the A1C comes in and it is not quite what I
expected. :)

A lot of our problem was that my daughter was "forgetting" to
bolus (I am not talking about an occasional forgotten bolus which
is to be expected, esp with a 10yo, but for just about every
snack [meals were not a problem]. It was just easier for her to
"forget" than to always have to find me and/or wait for me to
calculate, etc. [she was still learning that stuff so I did most
of it].) I tried *everything* that Pumping Insulin and the endo
recommended, plus a few things on my own (the endo even said I
was knocking myself out, and was concerned I'd burn out) and
still the A1C was not coming down. I figured the problem could
only be from a lack of bolusing, since everything else had been
analyzed to death. I knew she was forgetting sometimes and I did
make an effort to make sure she bolused but was not always
successful. It's not like I can follow her around all day waiting
for her to eat something, and nagging gets old after a while. I
finally got the bolus problem fixed (made some charts to give my
daughter some autonomy, which I think was the root of the
problem) and there has been a HUGE improvement there so I'm sure
the A1C will reflect that. (Except that now she is running high
in the wee hours for about a week at a time, every couple of
weeks, for the past month or so which will probably cancel that
out. Oh well! At least I gave it my best shot.) The endo is not
concerned, as her A1C is close to where he wants it, so as long
as he isn't, I'm not going to sweat it.

Laura said:
My first post pump A1C was just exactly the same as on MDI--not
really good at all.  Makes me discouraged about the pump and what
it can do. Anyone with similar experiences, or ideas, would be

little guy due 3/10/01