[IP] Re: Office A1C's vs. Labs Question

Different labs use different tests and methods so no two labs can
truly be compared. That said though, it does *seem* that the
majority of those who use the finger stick method have lower
A1C's than the ones using labs/venipuncture, just judging from
what I've seen on the CWD list over the last couple of years.
There is a thread going on there now by people who are doing both
the A1C-at-home kits AND the lab to compare the results. From
what they are saying, the results are very different - up to .6
off for some (the at-home test seems to be lower in most cases
but there was one that said it was actually higher - that was the
.6.) I don't know if you could really say one was more accurate
than another, since the variance in numbers is mostly due to the
difference in test type/method. But who knows.

Shelly said:
Hi I thought I better ask this again as we are heading for an
office visit in a few weeks.  I remember there was a thread on
this topic but wasn't sure what the concensus turned out to
be...Which is more accurate?  The A1C done via lab work or the
one that they do with the machine at the office? (Takes maybe 3
minutes for results.) ALso which one gives a lower reading?  Does
anyone know that?

little guy due 3/10/01