Re: [IP] When did you have "full" responsibility for your diabetes?

Hi pump mates!

I luckyly had allmost full responsibillity of my DM from the start. In
hospital thay were axious to have me manage taking my shots, doing my BGs
and understand my new condition myself. My parents did all they could to
help me, but not the overprotective way. They encurraged me, and followed my
meal schedule. Just a couple of weeks after diagnosis I went to a camp with
the blind asosciation (I'm born partially sighted). My mother was a bit
worried I think, but when she saw that I was doing well she was more
relaxed. The only times I've needed my parents to take care for my DM has
been when having the stomack flu. Then they have been doing my BGs for me
because I've been to sick to do it myself.
When I started to have serious problems (roller-coaster), and wanted the
pump they were really supportive.

I think it's important to let kids/teens have most of the responsibillity
themselves. If not we would be more dependent on other people all the time,
and I think that can be strainous some times. I feel that it's easier to
accept and take care of my diabetes when the responsibillity is all mine.

Best wishes from Ingrid
Dx at 15
MM507c since December 2000
(I love the thing!!)