RE: [IP] Re: when did you have "full" responsiblity for your diabetes?

>Wow!! This is depressing. So this is what I have to look forward to for my
>son with D. Looking back on your life, what advice or talk could I give my
>son so he doesn't feel this way. Is it this ways for most adults that were
>dx as a child?
>son of Jordan 5yr old. with D.

I don't know the answer to your question.  I don't think anybody does.
IMHE:  Simply cultivate a healthy sense of self-esteem in him.  high
self-esteem is the best barrier to anything life an throw at us.  In doing
this wiht diabetes, it's important to not attach any value judgements nor
such in body language to his test results or his natural human yearnings.
Tests are not good nor bad - they are just facts to use as a tool.  I would
never again keep seeing a medical professional who doesn't understand this.
Watch for the catch phrase:  "some of your tests have been pretty good but
you have  afew bad ones in there.  Bad? That's accusing him of being
responsible for the results of an uncontrolable disease!  When we try &
change somehting we have no pwoer over; we go nuts!

Lots of good books on building self esteem and self esteem in kids.  Just
apply it to life with diabetes as well.

BTW:  Many of us got to hear our parents talk about what a financial burden
we were on them as well... ...say no more.

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
of MDI!  (To date:  47% improvement in average bg's and 90% fewer hypos)!