[IP] RE: When did you have "full" responsibility for your diabetes?

I've been reading this thread with a lot of interest!

As some of you know, I work for a health education publisher and
I'm working on a pair of booklets: one for kids with diabetes and
one for parents of kids with diabetes. We're aiming at kids 10-14,
since those are the peak years of diagnosis. A lot of what you've
been saying in this thread really supports the approach we've been
taking in the parents' booklet. One of the major themes of the booklet
is transition of care from parent to child. We want the basic message
to be that the parents' job is learn about diabetes with their child and
help their child learn to manage diabetes; and that what the child needs
most of all is the parents' love and support -- not overwhelming
control. There's a lot more to it than that, of course, but that's the
basic thrust.

It's been really amazing to me to read about what different kids do
at different ages -- both from the kids' point of view and the parents'
point of view, in this and other discussions.

/Janet L.