[IP] RE: Not all docs "get it"

>   Bottom line: diabetes management has undergone dramatic changes in even
>the 8 1/2 years since my daughter's diagnosis....It behooves EVERYONE who
>lives with this capricious condition to be as knowledgeable as
>possible via
>the web, the anecdotes of other diabetics, etc and to not simply
>rely upon a
>doctor for every decision.....Yes, there are excellent endos, but
>given the
>state of the managed care situation nowadays, they are NOT in the majority
>Regards, Renee (melissa's pump mom)

Sadly, the value of patient education, knowledge and understanding is not
appreciated by many physicians and third party payers.  Too often we are
left to acquire much needed information from outside sources only to be
challenged by our doctors who may feel threatened.  However, there are
exceptions.  I read something many years ago that underscores Renee's post.
I dug out the book and quote from it below:

John Kinsley
Type 1 - 1956
MM 507 - 1998

"There may be many good reasons for learning about diabetes, but one of the
best reasons is the fact that knowledge and understanding can help you or
someone else live better and longer as well as freer from complications.
Simple survival is not enough.  To cope with the diabetic life depends
largely on how much you know. --- This means that acquiring knowledge to
better care is not a luxury, but a necessity. --- Knowledge and
understanding are not a part of treatment; they ARE treatment."

I believe this quote is from Dr. Leo Krall himself in:
Joslin Diabetes Manual
Dr. Leo P. Krall, editor
11th edition, 1978